Saturday, January 18, 2014

First Days in Germany

I moved to Bonn, Germany. I live with a family and work as their Au Pair (nanny in a foreign country). Here are some pics of the area I live in.

This is the building across the street from my house. It's the Ministry of Something. I don't know what exactly, but it's an official government Ministry, with cool staircases.

So, I live in Bonn, and more specifically Bad Godesberg (part of Bonn, but an area within the city). Bonn is neat. It was the Capitol of Germany up until the wall fell, and is still the location of about half of the government ministries, and when the other ministries left, a lot of large companies came here to use those now empty buildings. So, we have a United Nations Hub (which employs the mother of the family I nanny for), DHL, T Mobile (telekom), and a few others. But before all that, these were the stomping grounds of our friend Beethoven. Here is is, looking regal with a pigeon on his head.

Here is what he's looking at, so regally. 
So, the home he was born in is just down the road (a three minute walk) the main part of the city is only open to pedestrians and bikes, there are like 6 H&Ms, and a million other stores in these beautiful old buildings. Pretty much the only building that doesn't have a business on the main floor is Ludwig's house. I followed signs pointing me there for like 5 minutes, and I walked right by it twice. It is the least eye-catching building around, but there is a lovely museum inside.

Also, when I was wondering, I found a convenience store called the "Euro Store," WHICH HAD DR PEPPER! I was so excited I nearly kissed the woman at the counter. I opened it up, and it was a huge letdown! It tasted terrible. So, I guess no DP for me.

But, the next time I was wondering around by myself, I tried this place: mini Asia, and their Dr. Pepper was much better. The Euro Store's is bottled here in Germany, but apparently Asia has the right recipe.


Here is a castle. I wish I knew more about it, but that yellow light you see under the entry gate -- Greek Food restaurant. So, the castle is not that big of a deal to Germans either. 


Haribo - maker of all things "Gummy" was founded here in Bonn. Hans Riegel is the creator, so he named it HAns RIegel BOnn. Also pictured: woman, dog, car. Frau, Hund, Auto.


 This is the scenery I see more frequently: Meet Phineas, Nicolas, and some of their toys.
 I pass this church on my way to pick them up from school each day.

 The road their school is on: classic really old buildings, and cars.
Here is their school:




This park is like a 5 minute walk from my house. It's right along the Rhine River.



This pic is weird, but so are you. Notice the trash receptacle in the women's restroom: LADY KILLER.

 Anyway, these are some of the regular sites. I take requests, and I'm sure I'll need encouragement to post.

3 comments:

  1. Yahoo - your awesome blogging skills are back in use. Maybe you could blog about a typical day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will relay the info about Haribo to Mrs. Ballard (if she hasn't seen it already) as she will find it of the upmost importance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. And you. And Taylor loves Haribo so I got great info from this post. Please post always.

    ReplyDelete