Friday, May 3, 2013

A City Built On History

Hello all! This is Amandass checking in.

Juneau is painfully beautiful. I don't know how Alaskans get anything done, because all I want to do is stand in awe and marvel at the scenery. I could throw a rock from my current location at the public transit stop and hit Mt. Juneau. (If I knew how to throw a rock, that is, but we all know I'm too pretty for that.)
The downtown city of Juneau is built on top of old mine pilings, which were massed at the base of the mountains. Access to most of the houses are by steep stairways leading through the brush.
~ Caitlyn on the walkways in Downtown ~  

~ Historic Downtown Juneau ~ 


ATTN: I was just mistaken for a local! I never knew how much I wanted this feeling until just now. It must have been the xtratufs.

Caitlyn, Jillian, Suzette (a new and charming addition to our little family), and I have all settled into our room at Frontier Suites. Caitlyn and I share a bed - Yes, I'm sleeping with my High School Prom Queen *fist bump* - The lesbian jokes will never get old. 
We're all slowly learning the ins-and-outs of our tour destinations. Glacier Gardens: Excellent muffins. Statter Harbor: Watch out, those fishermen are mean sons-of-bitches. Shuttle Duty: The Worst. 
We are anxious for the coming days, when we will be given full control of our buses and passengers. I would say it will be a trial by fire, but storm clouds are much more likely, instead we will have a trial by downpour. 

I'll leave you with two of my favorite quotes from the week:

"Alaska has long been a magnet for dreamers and misfits, people who think the unsullied enormity of the Last Frontier will patch all the holes in their lives." - Jon Karkauer

and

"There are only three ways into Juneau: ferry, plane, or birth canal." - Erik Roeser (Returning Driver Guide, Bearded Viking, Bread Maker, Heart Breaker.)

2 comments:

  1. Yay Amanda! Good to hear from you too. These posts are great, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the picture of Caitlyn's backside. Always a treat.

    Also I'm very proud of you for being mistaken for a local. Are giant fair-skinned black-haired costume designers pretty common in Alaska?

    ReplyDelete